Thread: Hello Hello
View Single Post
Old 08-06-2018, 09:14 AM
archioptic (Nathan)

Just to mix it up a bit I'll throw in my $0.02

I started off by going the EQ6 + 100mm refractor route and while it was good I had a lot of things to learn. Polar alignment, software, balancing, having all the right bits and pieces, putting it all together, image calibration, processing (!!!), understanding the basics of autoguiding/tracking, exposure times and getting my head around how all these factors work together so that I could successfully troubleshoot any problems I came across (and I came across many) really burnt me out and I ended up selling all my gear after about 12 months.

Only recently have I started up again and this time I'm taking my time and starting wide. My suggestion is to get your DSLR and a few lenses, a sturdy tripod, and go for something like the Skywatcher Star Adventurer mount. From here, if you decide you're in it for the long run (goodbye $$$), you can upgrade by buying an autoguiding system (which will work on the SWSA) and invest in Pixinsight for processing (I cannot stress the importance of practicing processing enough). The next step would be to get an EQ6 (future proof) and a nice 80mm or 100mm triplet and start using your autoguider/DSLR with this system. Next you'd probably want to replace the DSLR with a mono camera. After this stage you'd know where you'd want to head next!

This would allow you to purchase things over time and practice the basic skills before you jump in the deep end. There's no rush to image the night sky, it's not going anywhere