View Single Post
Old 27-10-2013, 06:31 AM
stevous67 (Steve M)

After feedback from Rick and Dave, I realise I need to expand this question. I have the STL11k (KAI) chip, and understand there are two versions of the Astrodon filters to consider. Apparently the I Series is the correct type, designed for the KAI chip.

To show my issue, I have linked below a recent shot of M20, with the suspect colours:

M20 - with suspect colour of the Ha

I do not change colours on processing, other than altering saturation and setting the range, and this washed out look of the Ha is as it was when looked at the colour data prior combination to the luminance data. I can blend the colour data without saturation loss.

This image contained 300sec subs at F8, binning 2x2. Looking at Peter wards last M20, the colouring is vastly different. I am guessing he uses Astrodon?

Another image that exhibits the same issue was a M42, having a washed out look and browny dust areas:

M42 with same browny dust and light Ha

What am I asking, should I consider moving to Astrodon filters to achieve better colour results? And has anyone made the change from Astronomik filters to Astrodon?

Thank you for having a look,

Steve