View Single Post
Old 01-11-2008, 07:25 PM
Ian Robinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorW View Post
From looking at the site Ian I got the impression these are Peltier devices anyhow.

The Peltier device I have measures 40 X 40 X 5mm, the bulky part is the heat sink fan etc required to remove excess heat created by the Peltier.

Correct me if I'm wrong but a lot of CCD camera's incorporate Peltier cooling devices.

Cheers
This will explain the principle.http://www.digit-life.com/articles/peltiercoolers/ and gives some useful info.

The attachment is a simplified sketch of how TEC of a camera CCD chip would be achieved (without pulling the CMOS CCD chip off the circuit board which is probably a very bad idea), guess it depends on how free space there is behind the circuit board the CMOS CCD chip is soldered to, the copper heat cooling sheet need not be more than mm thick (probably a lot less) to get efficient cooling.

I do not think cooling the outer body of the camera by peltier TE cooling will be very effective as the body of the camera will probably be ineffective as a medium to cool the CMOS CCD chip - a lot air spaces and gaps and air is a very effective thermal insulator.

Close contact to the CMOS CCD chip is required I think to cool effectively.

Another option may be to pump superchilled , dried and filtered air into the camera somehow directing it at the CMOS chip (which might be achieved by directing filtered and dried air over a multistage TEC and passing the very cold air over the CMOS CCD chip via some insulated plumbing that will enter the camera body at an appropriate location ). This would I think be easier to impliment and would involve only drilling two holes in the camera body.

Would I do this to my 40D? ... No not at this time or any time in foreseeable future.
Attached Files
File Type: doc tec.doc (20.5 KB, 49 views)

Last edited by Ian Robinson; 02-11-2008 at 08:03 PM.