View Single Post
Old 26-11-2007, 07:20 PM
Merlin66 (Ken)

Eyepiece family

The Pretoria is a very underestimated eyepiece, especially for fast Newts.
The Masuyama's have got to be close to the "Holy Grail" of eyepieces. Maybe not as wide a field as the later Naglers etc but for clarity, tightness, crispness and feel; not sure they can be beat. If anyone knows where to find a 45mm Masuyama I'd be VERY interested.
I found my Ziess Mono in a auction sale in South Africa many years ago... a long story.... but I've just been offered us$450 for it!! Too good to sell even at that price!
Weather is pretty typical over here in the UK, but at least I've got Comet Holmes every night!! Working on the spectroscopes and caught up with Maurice Gavin ( great guy!) and joined up with the Guildford Society; they have an 1900's 20" reflector available to members.
I should point out that when I started with a 6" f8 I only had a 25mm Ramsden and a 12.5 MH; they lasted me for a few years before I could really appreciate what "good" eyepieces can do. It was only while doing the SN chart work that I really understood the difference an eyepiece can make to finding/ seeing faint objects, hence the change to TV Plossl's.
The attached list details the Masuyama family...(I wish!)
The photo show the ones I have ( plus the Klee and the Clave)
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (masuyama list.jpg)
44.7 KB271 views
Click for full-size image (masuyama set.jpg)
63.9 KB435 views

Last edited by Merlin66; 26-11-2007 at 07:24 PM. Reason: Add photos