View Single Post
Old 30-01-2017, 09:00 AM
Stefan Buda

Baffle tube build.
The 3D printed mandrel did its job quite well. I used Al foil to stop the carbon-epoxy from sticking to it and in the end I think I could have just pushed the tube off it but I started breaking it up with a pair of plyers first. The reason is that I had to make sure it was removable in bits and pieces, as the other tube for the OTA will have aluminium parts bonded to its ends, while still on the spindle, and the mandrel will have to come out in pieces.
Originally this baffle tube was going to have an aluminium reinforcing ring at the front end, but a couple of weeks ago I learned that a local manufacturer was about to start making a carbon fibre reinforced PETG filament for 3D printing. I obtained a sample quantity for trial and I used it to 3D print the front ring.
The tube has 4 layers of carbon cloth and I gave it a textured, slightly matte finish, rather than the smooth and shiny finish of commercial ones.
And don't worry about the pile of leftover plastic as it is biodegradable - made from corn starch.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Baffle1.JPG)
156.5 KB131 views
Click for full-size image (Baffle2.JPG)
176.4 KB124 views
Click for full-size image (Baffle3.JPG)
150.5 KB125 views
Click for full-size image (Baffle4.JPG)
106.8 KB127 views