View Single Post
Old 13-01-2016, 08:22 AM
codemonkey (Lee)
Lee "Wormsy" Borsboom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmos View Post
Tonight is the first chance I have had to take my EQ6 outside after I stripped it down and regreased everything, watched it for a bit and was getting 0.45 in RA. Tomorrow I am going to have to redo the DEC axis as I have a fair bit of backlash. I didn't think it was as bad as it was until PHD took something like 100 steps to clear it!
Whoa! I considered mine unusably bad when I was getting 15-20 steps to clear it. When I got mine down to 4-5 then I could guide in both directions without it affecting the guiding too badly. Of course it's commonly recommended that you only guide in one direction, but I was never completely happy with that since the drift would change over time and there was always the odd anomaly that needed correcting.

I always found guiding in RA was much better closer to the pole than the equator. I read somewhere it's due to periodic error having less of an impact closer to the poles, though I don't understand the mechanics of that. I'd get around 0.5 close to the pole, but more like 0.6-0.8 close to the equator.