View Single Post
Old 24-08-2017, 01:30 PM
Tinderboxsky (Steve)
I can see clearly now ...

A final glimpse

Last night was clear with average seeing but quite good transparency So, I thought why not give Comet Johnson one last try.
The comet had moved between and past the two close stars HD 131488 (8th mag) and HD 131435 (7.15 mag) and was residing in a very faint star field with the relatively bright Kappa Centaurus lurking nearby and in its path.
The comet was visible with averted vision as the faintest broad smudge of light using a Panoptic 24 (33X and 4.25 exit pupil) but very difficult to retain sight of when looking directly at it. Kappa Centaurus needed to be kept out of the FOV.
Switched to an LVW13 (62X and 2.26 exit pupil) and the comet was easier to spot with averted vision and I could just hold sight of it looking directly at it.
I think this will be my final glimpse of Comet Johnson. It is forecast to be another clear night tonight, but the comet will be swamped by Kappa Centaurus. After that I think it will be beyond my scope as it fades further, some poor weather and an emerging Moon interferes.