View Single Post
Old 21-06-2016, 08:21 AM
sil (Steve)
Not even a speck of dust

A NAS and I keep all source too. When capturing planetary I reduce capture dimension to something smaller (ie crop at source), this reduces file sizes and I get faster frame rates too.

If filesizes are a real problem for you maybe look into lossless codecs for capture and do some testing to see if you are confident they dont introduce compression artifacts etc long ago I used to use a hufyuv (spelling???) lossless codec for recording vhs mostly in general which suited my needs for editing/processing to DVD. There are tons of codecs out there so test a few and see which gives you smaller source files for no quality loss, could help your dilemma.

Always keep my source data but delete the intermediate working files, but keep the first single file containing all stacked data, before wavelets etc processing. So if I want to reprocess later on with improved skills, new software/techniques I have source data to start with or source stacked data, whatever I need and saves time as a starting point.