View Single Post
Old 14-10-2012, 04:35 PM
PRejto (Peter)

Ernie and Greg, Thank you both for your replies.

Ernie, I certainly am paying attention to your QSI recommendation! If you had to pick between the QSI and the new SBIG which way would you go? Would you expand on your comment about the binning problem? What is "overflow" and what is the result?

Greg, I have to say that at the moment I'm not too keen on spending more money for a TEC flattener and a new camera, and a new mounting system. I still have so much to learn. It does seem I could keep things a lot more basic by staying with the KAF8300 for now. I guess I'm confused about the point re resolution. I've been reading Ron Wodowski's book which seems to say that 2-3 arcsec/pixel is ideal if seeing won't support greater resolution. So, I guess my question is if I'm using full resolution with a KAF8300 (1.14arcsec) and seeing is marginal am I actually worse off than using a camera with larger pixels, or just not getting the resolution I could if seeing were ideal?

Someday, for sure, I will get the flattener and a better camera and hopefully will enjoy the wondrous wide field views!

Thanks!

Peter