View Single Post
Old 11-10-2012, 04:42 PM
gregbradley

Greg the FLI FL16803 certainly looks to be a gem of a camera, but is probably more than I can afford in good conscience at the moment. Off line I had a suggestion to consider the STL11000M which I believe has 9 um pixels. I see SBIG doesn't make the camera any longer, but I suppose they would still repair if necessary (?). Greg, I'm curious how you mount your cameras to the TEC? Do you use the helical clamp on the FeatherTouch, or do you remove the clam and have everything screwed together. Also wondering if my focuser will allow me to get full illumination of these larger chips?

Yes 16803 isn't a cheap option but they do come up every now and then on astromart. In fact wasn't there one for sale in Melbourne recently - the Apogee U16M with the high cooling body and filter wheel and filters. Julian.

Anyway, STL11000M is another classic camera and I agree 9nm pixels seem to be the sweet spot with Kodak technology and local seeing for most focal lengths.

I attach to my TEC flattener with a custom adapter from Precise Parts.
I would not use eyepiece holders for cameras as that is asking for flex or worse the camera slipping out when it gets cold (that TEC clamp loses grip if temp drops too much).

STL11's often come up on Astromart. Filter wheel and guiding for LRGB in one package. Remote guide head for a guidescope for narrowband or use STi guider with the lens guide package. Or simply add a MMOAG and guide through that with an STi. You can also get an 8 filter filter wheel for the camera.

FT 3.5 inch focuser does not inhibit 16803 chip at all and is a nice piece of TEC scopes. TEC make their own focusers now.

I've had 2 STL11's. The colour version and the mono. Great cameras, loved em. Very convenient and a lot less fiddling with cables, transformers etc.

Greg.