View Single Post
Old 27-11-2012, 05:54 PM
AstralTraveller (David)

Unhappy Rescue out-of-focus eclipse shots?

It's sad and embarrassing to have to ask this but I need some advice on rescuing out-of-focus eclipse shots. They are not badly defocussed but enough to be noticeable. I can see detail in the corona but the prominences have a slight donut appearance. I've seen a few programs that claim they can at least improve the shot and I presume they will but some are likely to be better than others. I'm looking for any software recommendations or any how-to advice. The shots were taken on a 600D (with 400mm L lens) and are in cr2 format.

BTW in case you want a cautionary tale this is what happened. I never got time to make a solar filter before I left to drive up, camping on the way, so I took the raw materials with me. I realised after we left that I didn't have a convenient place to carry the made filter where it would be flat and safe, and anyway we were tired at night. So I put it off with the intention of making it the day before. However we made a decision to make a dash west that day and so I was left with Plan B, which didn't worry me. So I focussed on Venus in the pre-dawn light and was happy it was a good focus. There was a faint star just to the right of Venus that was only visible right at focus. Then I taped some filter over the pop-up lens shroud and left an end free. At the appropriate moment I undid the tape, removed the solar film and twisted the lens on it's mounting bolt so that to was pointing wrong by 10-15 degrees. I quickly swung it back, with the shutter operating and watched the rest of the eclipse. It looks as though I managed to touch the focus ring while recentering (they are positioned to be easily accessible) and stupidly (in 20-20 hindsight) didn't check the focus.

Like many stuff ups this one actually involved three (at least) things done wrong. I didn't make the filter in time. I only locked down the lens mount with a butterfly nut. If I had used a normal nut and spanner it probably wouldn't have moved. If I had re-checked focus I would have only lost a few shots. I've spent the last few days doing contortions as I try to kick my own butt.