Thread: Windows 10
View Single Post
Old 03-06-2019, 08:16 PM
astro744

Windows 7 is officially retired with no further security updates from Microsoft early next year. No problem if you have a standalone setup not connected to the web otherwise you would be advised to upgrade to 10.

When Windiws 10 was first offered for free I tried it and liked it until I installed my HP colour MFP which worked fine except for the scan function (poor quality scans from Windows and inability to scan to PC from the MFP via buttons on the MFP). I had a similar problem getting my Plustek slide scanner to work although I did eventually fool 10 somehow. Acrobat X too would not install.

Anyway I went back to 7 Pro as I think it is one of the best Windows versions ever produced. When I found it would be no longer supported next year I tried 10 again but this time as an upgrade and not a clean install, something which I always was a against always favouring a clean install. To my surprise everything that worked under 7 works just as well under 10 including my MFP and slide scanner as well as Acrobat X.

I have been using Windows 10 Pro for a few months now and it works fine and I have had no issues with it. I don't have any Astro cameras connected to this platform so cannot comment on that.

When you do an upgrade your Windows 7 installation is saved for a short while and you do have the option to rollback but there is a time limit, I think 30 days. If you like 10 you can delete the 7 files to save disk space before the 30 days are up but then if you want to go back you need to do a clean install of 7.

If your computer is to be connected to the Internet then I recommend you make the switch to 10 otherwise you will not get any security updates. Install as an upgrade from within Windows and not as a clean install. This way you will not have to look for and load any driver later for any devices you have. Just follow the instructions during the install.