View Single Post
Old 21-03-2021, 12:43 AM
redbeard (Damien)

{{{{If I install Pro ( as new ) should I keep updates on or leave it disabled like Home
I’m of the opinion that Windows updates can contribute to spurious problems with telescope control}}}}

Hi Martin,

If you can get away with disabling the updates and the PC is not connected to the internet, that would be what I would do. In fact, my recording PC is not even on the network at home.

Sometimes this can backfire however when a device driver that is newly installed doesn't see the updated windows files and it reports on being an unsigned driver. Updates can fix that. I have an issue exactly like that with a Win 7 PC I use for recording audio, I have to start the PC in 'Ignore Driver Signing" at startup in order to use the software. I have not updated that PC for a long time.

When I build a Windows PC, I install all the software I need, do all the updates, custom it a bit and then take a snapshot image and unplug from the network. Six months down the track, do an image backup, do a windows update, test stuff, if all good then make another updated image.

But all in all, there will be so many different opinions about security, stability, blah blah, it's totally up to you in the end.

On the PC's I have that are not running dedicated software that have web access, I generally do the updates just to be protected.
If you have more than 1 PC, then if an update stuffs something up, you can always temporarily use the other.

I reckon all the good Microscoff programmers have all got old and died and all the just newly trained programmers have written Win10.

All the best,
Cheers,
Damien.