View Single Post
Old 15-04-2008, 08:32 AM
Kirkus (Kirk)
Beginner-ish

Iceman: I wasn't very clear. Sorry. I meant I'll manually control the shutter with a remote until I can get the TC-80N3. I think the remote I bought will make it necessary for me to actually hold down the button to keep the shutter open (one one-thousand, two one-thousand, three one-thousand... )

Thanks for the explanation about guided/unguided. That makes perfect sense! Even though my mount "tracks", the camera's not being "guided" unless I'm using software that controls the mount, right? Which I have but haven't had a reason to learn to use it... yet. Tracking is not as accurate as guiding.

Gary: I did piggyback my camera on my mount the first night I had it and did some 30 second exposures (the longest I can do outside of bulb mode) with the 18mm - 55mm lens that came with the camera. I got a very nice 'gray-fuzzy' of M13 (and did a happy dance, just because).

I'll take your advice and work on widefield stuff in the beginning (after I do a couple prime focus things just to give it a go. ).

Thank you all so much for the words of wisdom, education, and encouragement.