View Single Post
Old 04-09-2007, 05:44 PM
DougAdams
Lord Lissie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NQLD_Newby View Post
Great report Doug. I love this area of the sky. I never used to because like you I have a little sky glo, but once I discovered that it wasn't enough glo to worry, it has become one of my regular areas to view. Not far away from M27 and a bit higher is the Saturn neb. If you can see M57 you should be able to see it. Its slightly smaller than M57 and a little harder to find, but worth the look.
Hi Rex - I bagged the Saturn Nebula on the 14th of August when I was hunting Uranus ... here's what I have in the logbook...

Saturn Nebula NGC 7009 – while in the region of Aquarius, I decided to try to find the Saturn Nebula. This is apparently a bright planetary nebula in O’Meara’s Caldwell book. Again, armed with a finder chart, I put ν Aqu in the centre of the 24mm FOV. I immediately saw the nebula, rather non-stellar, halfway to the edge of the FOV. It gave me the impression of blinking whenever I tried to look at it with direct vision. When I used averted vision, it brightened remarkably. I bumped up the magnification to 77x (see sketch) which gave it a bit more colour. It also had a hint of elongation along the NW/SE axis – I need to confirm whether I did see that or not.

Tonight looks very promising in Melbourne - I'll have another look at it.