View Single Post
Old 13-07-2016, 07:05 PM
cfn
Cloud Free Night Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol-Skysailor View Post

Instead I wish it would let me set multiple bookmarks of locations or displays or refinements, so that only one click would get me to location 1 of the particular display I like. Another occasion or on the same weekend, just one click would get me to location 2 etc. Then I’d make a decision.
You mean the ability to save locations in a "favorite" list? That's interesting. Will look into this when implementing login and user profiles.

Quote:

About the ‘seeing’ I’d prefer it displayed; I don’t want to have to fiddle with overlays or anything.
Unfortunately there is no way at this stage to have a seeing index. The next best thing is blinking the wind and jetstream maps. That's how the map overlays came to be. You can view both in one screen. Until we have something better that's all we can do.

Quote:
Being a firm fan, I knew immediately what cfn was but others have a valid point. On the other hand it could be your way of familiarising users with cfn such that soon we’d be saying cfn and forgetting what it stands for!
CFN is easier to type than Cloud Free Night.

Quote:
Not sure how useful this would be: somewhere that shows a trend plot of the actuals? (Could be of academic interest to also see actuals vs forecasts but no matter.)
We don't keep any history of past data. We currently have limited resources and have to be smart about it. We generate over 4GB of images every 24h. It is a lot of processing and the server is idle maybe 5% of the time each day. And that's not counting any users browsing the site. So maybe in future if we have room to expand and more funds.

Quote:

In your development for mobile devices please remember us big-screen lap-toppers (we're mobile too but), and Maccas.

THANK YOU cfn. You’re doing a great service to the astronomy community.

Sol
Desktop PCs are the easy part to develop for but we'll never leave anybody behind whatever device they use to access CFN.