View Single Post
Old 09-07-2010, 05:55 PM
irwjager (Ivo)

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
Yes - my work flow is not different than working with a mono. I'm not sure about the quality estimation bit but I use the sub with the best FWHM as per CCD Inspector report still with its bayer matrix in for everything. Registration, normalisation and data rejection. I make a note of it and use it as a base to work from in each channel.
Very interesting. You just gave me an idea! Since most debayering algorithms use data from other channels to help with the interpolation, they may "inherit' each other's noise (as I described above).

Now, what if you would extract all the red, green1, green2 and blue pixels from the bayered image, and put these in their own image?

You would end up with 4 images, all 1/4th the size. You could then stack those, do your usual thing and then, at the very end, put them together in a bayer matrix again and, only then, debayer them with the algorithm of your choice.

If I'm correct, this could yield a better quality image since you're delaying the potential noise crosstalk until the very end when you have a single, much better quality image... Any noise would stay confined to its own channel and be rejected by the quality estimator during the per-channel stacking, with no chance of spreading to other channels.

Hmmm....