View Single Post
Old 13-09-2009, 07:47 PM
pmrid (Peter)
Ageing badly.

Ritchey Chretiens and collimation

Folks, I'm in trouble and need help. Having succumbed to the necessity to flock the baffle tube in my GSO RC 8", and having read Paul's helpful note on how to do this, I went ahead. When I removed the baffle tube, the whole primary mirror retaining assmbly came with it and in consequence, so did the mirror. No damage but I have reassembled and collimation was clearly out and needing to be redone.
In the absence of any owners manual, I went looking for guidance and thought that instructions for collimating a SCT would be pretty close. Wrong!! I should not have touched the primary, as it now appears, and should have confined myself to the secondary. I didn't know that at the time.
So now, I have tinkered with the primary and have just come inside from having tried to do the same with the secondary. The long and the short is that I have totally screwed up the collimation of my RC and am well and truly at the hair-pulling stage. If I had more hair, this would be a worry.
I need help to retrieve what is obviously a bad situation and wonder whether there is somewhere where I can send this scope to be professionally recollimated.
Peter