Thread: Filter Advice
View Single Post
Old 29-11-2018, 11:37 PM
RyanJones

Filter Advice

Hi all,

I'm looking at asking Santa for a LP filter for Christmas but I'm not sure what to ask for. From the research I've done it looks like the Astronomik UHC-E is the way to go. All of my OTAs are 5" or 4" and are used almost exclusively for imaging. Imaging is done with a Canon 5d DSLR full-frame.

The challenge is where to put it in the imaging train and can I put it where I can use it on all of my setups ? The only positions the SCT, Refractor and soon to be aquired Newtonian share are either clip in the camera or on the T-ring ends of the respective t-adaptors. I'm assuming that's T2 - M42 ?

I'm worried that if I use a clip in filter, the frame may cause vignetting on the full frame sensor ? Next in line is in between the T-ring and T-adaptor ( I'm assuming this is how it mounts ? ). Would the weight of the camera, which is quite heavy, cause load on the filter and cause the filter to distort ? Beyond that we are looking at 2 filters. One for the SCT adaptor and another for the 2" end of the T-adaptor I use on the other scopes. Obviously I would only go this direction if there is a reason to have the filter closer to the OTA because it would double the price of the idea.

I guess finally I need to ask is the Astronomik UHC-E filter good value for money or is there something better in the same price range ( $250 ) ?

I thank you all in advance for any advice and constructive guidance given.

Cheers

Ryan