View Single Post
Old 21-11-2017, 08:59 AM
Paul Haese

Quote:
Originally Posted by E_ri_k View Post
Thanks Paramount MX. Declination is balanced, and I have had all the cables through the mount for a while now. Im going to refine the alignment tonight.

I did notice one strange thing just now though..... While balancing the DEC, it feels a bit "tight" When balancing the RA, I can push it ever so lightly with my finger and it will freely move. The DEC is good up to a point, but then it feels like it sticks and will hold its position, even if unbalanced slightly. I have just given it a bit of a wiggle and seems to have freed up.....

I thought maybe the cable through the mount could be playing a part??

Erik
That is certainly uncharacteristic of an MX. However you might want to try the following. I have an MX and they can be finicky with regard to issues that cause guide error.

Balance on an SB mount must be near perfect. You need to move the mount without locks and not see any residual balance issues (ie it should stay where you put the scope and not slowly move. I think this is the most likely cause of your guiding problems.

Cables through the mount are problematic with this mount. I think I can only put one or two through my MX and after that it gets some binding. Also reasonably likely that this is causing the problem. Perhaps remove the cables and use a centre fixed loom of cables which hang to the ground from the centre of the versa plate.

Cable drag - perhaps a possibility too. Be thorough with looking at this. Cables can cause guiding errors in one part of the sky and not others.

I'd reconsider using PH2 and move to something like MaximDL or similar programme that allows both min and max movement settings. This gives better results. Probably not a likely cause to your current guide error, but it will tighten up your guiding in general.

Finally, if all that fails you need to check the worm gear for any knocks. The mount might have received a knock and damaged the worm. Or have a poke around and examine the grease and lock settings on the dec assembly.