View Single Post
Old 15-09-2013, 05:52 PM
alistairsam

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
Nice looking scope. Newts typically need a coma corrector. Do you have one of those? MPCC is common one used.

Sounds like you've got the CCDs worked out there. Its just a matter of going through the pluses and minuses of each and which match your intended main interest in imaging. CCD calculator at New Astronomy Press (its free) gives you a simulation of the view of different deep sky objects with different cameras on the same scope. That may help with the decision process.

ST8300 is proven.

SXV694 seems to be a strong performer but a bit smaller FOV which might be good for galaxy images but not so good for wider objects. Its also very modern, has good electronics, its a Sony sensor. Mike S likes his and Rally's few images posted so far are impressive with a similar setup. It also requires a smaller corrected image circle not that KAF8300 requires a large one either. KAF8300 is about 58% QE and not sure what its QE at Ha is. 694 is 77% and 66% at Ha which is one of the highest around.

ST10 is another strong performer plus it has self guide (I presume). That is good for LRGB not so much for Ha.

Greg.
Thanks Greg,

Yep I'm using the mpcc mark3 which has an M48 opening as opposed to the T2 of the mark 2.

what is the next medium format chip up from the 694/8300?
I do like a large FOV, and the qhy8/8l would have been perfect if it were mono.
i might have to give that a shot to remove a qhy8's CFA.
apparently dichloromethane removes the CFA of a nikon D40 easily and that's the same sensor used in the qhy8.

Cheers
Alistair