View Single Post
Old 25-06-2016, 12:52 PM
wasyoungonce (Brendan)
Certified Village Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by luka View Post
Geez, going through all posts and tracking all changes must have taken some time. Thank you.
Urrrggghh don't ask It was dizzying to say the least.

Quote:
Can we get the 106 case here?
I've seen the 106 case at element14 and fleabay. Element14 sells the 106 ver for $26 but he 106mf(basically a flanged version, we can cut this off) for $12.25. Also fleabay. best to stay with these cases as the PCB was designed specifically for this case.

Quote:
If we get too desperate with the too long capacitors, depending on space it may be possible to solder them with "long legs" and then bend the legs 90 degrees so that the capacitor is on its side instead of upright. Then a bit of hot glue tends to hold them in place quite well.
Yep exactly what I was thinking but looks to be 11mm height caps are ok.

Quote:
I saw the printed parts in faddy's design, that's why I mention the 3D printer :-)
Excellent. Would need to get a copy of his specs, we might need to ask on their forum. I think they would be fine with this, they have done a good job.

Quote:
And I may be able to source some of the small components that come in bulk packaging from work. I also have stacks of SMD resistors/capacitors at home but have to check sizes

Talking dirty...I like it. Some of the parts I found can be substituted and indeed I have done this, like the 6V sot89 regulator, but some also come in big packs which we don't need. Element14 is a possibility to source these. The only hard to get part is the CXD1267AN. It's an old IC, no longer made. I have qty 5 coming from UTSource but are a little unsure of them being
"original". There are other sources...fleabay and some parts houses, but suffice to say...if it's from China..."its probably fake!" We shall see!

Quote:
Regarding mechanincal parts, what is the plan to cut the openings in the box? Get it milled somewhere or drill-and-file method :-) And what about the copper finger?

Do we have a proper drawing of the nose piece adaptor? I may ask around how much it would cost to get it made. I also remember someone getting a cheap DSLR extension ring from ebay and gluing it to the front of the box :-)
Looks to be we can hand do most except the nose piece. This looks to be internal threaded for probably 2" adaptors, filter...not sure. Yes we could get it made ...not sure atm. As for the cooling finger, look any cold finger extension to the sensor, copper would be best thermally.

Probably we need to contact the guys on the Cam camera thread, Faddy and grim for parts check, use his gerbers and other parts specs. I mean they may have a reason not to go this path....like cam86 around the corner.

I'm keen to make a jump. I'll do the cam85m parts into a "cost" structure. I'll probably just leave the 0805 sized parts out as they are easily available. I'll Just look at prime costs items. I'll get back on this.