View Single Post
Old 16-05-2016, 11:22 AM
sil (Steve)
Not even a speck of dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
I used to have some pavers set into my lawn properly aligned to true south for the tripod. They were leveled as well and the mount head set for my latitude. When i first did a proper alignment i marked the spot on each of the three pavers - a circle around the leg point, and drilled a hole there to locate the leg point next time. It work pretty well for a couple of years. I used a strap around my battery case and through an eye bolt screwed to the tripod centre bolt, when the strap was tight the tripod could not shift when slewing or during weight transfer. If you setup on a driveway the same should work just watch the levelling.
I did the same sort of thing for my CGEM DX mount when I was able to use it. HOles drilled and painted in my courtyard pavers for tripod leg points. Used a digital spririt level to adjust mount ALT angle and solar noon for AZ. Tripod has an immovable pin the mount can be tightened against via two adjustable bolts, so once I had established north south line I used a locking nut to fix one of the bolts hard against the pin, using the other to tighten. So I just needed to drag the tripod outside and legs in holes on ground, then put mount on top and its polar aligned off the bat in its home position.

Last edited by sil; 16-05-2016 at 11:44 AM.