Thread: Help with AZEQ6
View Single Post
Old 23-07-2018, 02:59 PM
Zuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_bluester View Post
The only ties I have had that sort of issue with my Orion mount (Same as the AZEQ6, just painted black) it has come down to either initial setup and alignment, power issues making it lazy or balance.

Given you are in AZ mode, how is the balance in altitude? And rather than rely on the bubble in the mount check the top of the tripod with a spirit level in two directions 90 degrees apart. I am tempted to put a screwdriver tip through the bubble on my mount head to keep myself from being tempted to use it when I feel like being lazy and skipping a step. It is not accurate in the least.
Hi Paul.

I never usually balance in Azimuth in AltAz mode but the Alt balance is not bad. To check if it was balance I put a weight on but it didn't seem to make any difference.

Pointing accuracy was terrible, but since I was after planets it didn't bother me. I originally aligned with a reticle and slews were still way off, so I agree with you and will take a spirit level next time.

The problem is it was working fine the night before until the end and now it has a problem and I am not doing anything different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelopardalis View Post
Some folk use an auto guider to keep the object in the FOV. FireCapture supports this for planetary, although it doesn't require specific support IMO.

I find that when I polar align properly the planet will stay pretty much centred. If I just roughly polar align, it's a bit like playing a video game with the Hand Controller

If you have the cable to be able to use EQMod, it might be worth trying that as you can increase/decrease the tracking rate in small steps and see if it's the HC that has tracking problems.
Hi Dunk.

Good idea, I do have an EQMod and will try ditching the HC.

Cheers
Paul