View Single Post
Old 30-01-2019, 09:31 PM
mental4astro (Alexander)
kids+wife+scopes=happyman

Nathan,

The Celestron Evo mount is a very capable machine. It is all the same one mount for the 6", 8" and the 9.25" scopes. It is also a much more sturdy mount than the SE, and uses some bronze gears, not plastic ones.

Even the SE is still a capable mount. You need to get the mount of the 8" or 6" SE as these are the same mount between the two models. I had one of these with an 8" SCT, and it worked well. But if I had a choice between the two today, I would go with the Evo.

A third alternative is a single arm conversion of a CPC 11" or 9.25". These are the exact same mount between the two scopes, the difference being an additional set of spacers that hold the 9.25 scope. This CPC mount is even more robust than the Evo. I did this conversion to a CPC 1100 Deluxe mount just recently to take the 7" Russian Mak I now use. This scope weighs as much as the 9.25" OTA, but requires greater clearance around the focuser. Neither the SE or Evo mounts are suitable for this Ruski scope. You will find the thread I started of my CPC conversion here. This single arm conversion is still strong enough to take an 11" SCT! so an 8" SCT won't stress the mount in a fit.

Click image for larger version

Name:	CPC mod (8).jpg
Views:	29
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	239556

Power wise, the CPC does need a separate power source. For me this is not even a concern for what the mount offers me capacity and performance wise.

To find an Evo or CPC mount here in Oz, you just need to place a Wanted ad in the IIS classifieds as many people remove the OTA from the mount, and the mount is then doing nothing. That's how I found my CPC. You should be able to find either mount for about the same price too, and MUCH cheaper than trying to bring just the mount in from overseas!!! Also less expensive than an AZ-EQ5 or 6.

Alex

Edit: I am familiar with Wavy's 9" Mak. It is a BEAST of a machine, and nothing smaller than an AZ-EQ6 is capable taking it. His 9" Mak is over 10kg! If such a mount appeals to you, think carefully as this is also a BIG mount... Blooming great mount, but BIG.

Last edited by mental4astro; 30-01-2019 at 09:52 PM.