View Single Post
Old 30-01-2019, 09:27 PM
Wavytone

Nathan I’d say what you propose will be unsatisfactory unless you choose a fairly substantial mount that tracks. There are sone options:

1. A CPC Celestron,
2. Meade Lightswitch
3. SCT of your choice on an AZEQ6 mount, or iOptrin iEQ45.

A few years ago I assembled a nice altaz push-to setup using a Losmandy AZ8 with encoders and tried several scope on it ranging from a 100mm f/7, 130mm f/7, 7” f/10 and 7” f10, and ultimately my MK91 which is a 9” f/13.

The conclusions I came to are:

1. Without some form of automated tracking a scope with a focal length > 1200mm rapidily bcomes a pain in the rear to use. While low powers are ok for high magnifications > 150X it’s tedious and at 200 bordering on impossible. Yet my MK91 can handle 600X.

2. The field of view at the scopes lowest pier is small, and locating faint objects can be extremely hard in some constellations where - particularly in urban light polluted skies - nearby bright stars are non existent.

While the addition of encoders solved the second issue it doesn’t sokeve the first and some form of tracking is necessary.

Ultimately I ended up buying an AZEQ6 Mount which I mainly use for visual observing with my current scope which is a 9” mak.