View Single Post
Old 15-10-2016, 06:35 PM
wasyoungonce (Brendan)
Certified Village Idiot

Ok now we are getting somewhere.

Ran the TEC at 6.95V DC, pulled 1.5A max, ambient23ºC have cold side at .5ºC (...now at .1ºC) hot side at 22.8ºC. I have a small heatsink on the cold side (makes it easier to clamp together) and this probably adds some thermal mass anyway it is not working much better. This cold side is in a small plastic box to try retain some thermal efficiency.

It appears the hot side on the heatsink isn't getting hot enough I expected far hotter! Which I guess is limiting the cold side? My guess is that this should be able to get down to -5ºC but it's being limited atm...by what?

Anyway thanks Pat and Luka now I have a point I can work on.

Oh Kemal emailed me and said he had a quote from PCBway to make the PCBs and populate them with parts. See below. He was interested in going this way as he cannot do the PCB soldering.

Basically he wants to know if anyone is interested? If you are contact me and I'll put you in contact with him. IMHO this is not necessarily a bad way to go although I felt their parts cost was a little high...anyway if enough people want this ...maybe this is the way ahead?

Anyone?
I have the quote from pcbway(china).
They make the pcbs for the advertised price, so 10USD for 10 pieces.

For the assembly; 1 unit is 155USD 10 units are 180USD and 20 units are 335USD

For the components; 1 unit is 213USD 10 units are 861USD and 20 units are 1722USD

I haven’t spoken about the shipping cost but probably they will make it free with government post or maybe even with DHL.

As you can see it is not viable to order only one unit, it has to be more. If 20 people are in it will be 103.85USD per person which is a good price. But customs would become an issue, at least in Turkey it would. Chinese sellers declare lower values if asked but the quantity would raise suspicions. I’m guessing it is similar in Australia. Although for extra money they would ship them separately to each individual.

Cheers, Kemal

Brendan