View Single Post
Old 08-12-2017, 06:54 PM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzEclipse View Post
Don't those people up in the north feel sick standing upside down???

There are many estimates of the apparent brightness of KIC 9832227 at collision. The current marketing bumpf being put out by Calvin College is saying it will be the brightest object in the sky bar the Moon. Guess they don't count the Sun.

I think at 1850 l.y. it's unlikely to be mag -8 but then who knows?? Interesting event. If it is that bright it will cause light pollution issues as does the moon. Maybe we are in the box seat down here, we can watch it when it pops over the horizon for a few hours per night but can still do other work

Joe
It surely won't be as big as a Full Moon just a very bright light about double the size of Venus or even possibly smaller.
Tycho's Supernova of 1572 apparently reached about mag-4.1 and the distance to the supernova remnant has been estimated to between 2 and 5 kpc (approx. 6,500 and 16,300 light-years), but recent studies suggest a value closer to 2.5 and 3 kpc (approx. 8,000 and 9,800 light-years).
Tycho's is about 3 times the distance,but still it was only a bright star in the sky that generally had to be pointed out to people.
I hope it is really bright,but as you say Joe it will be nice and low down on the horizon for you in the south of the country.
Probably 10° altitude at its maximum.
I wonder how many times it will be reported as a UFO,?
what with it's low elevation and twinkling, it should get the crazies dialing up with what new technology they will be using in five years time.
Cheers