View Single Post
Old 05-03-2018, 03:46 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Later versions of USB have become less reliant on the CPU.

Pretty much any recent CPU will get you going. Last time Mars was around I was using an 11” Lenovo with an Atom chip, 2GB memory and USB 2.0. Hence my previous reference to getting creative with the ROI (region of interest) to keep the throughput and consumption under control but note that the CPU and RAM weren’t limiting capture, only the storage. You don’t need to be capturing large slices of black sky unnecessarily.

If your disk can’t keep up (unlikely, if it’s internal) then you’ll just drop frames...SharpCap has a counter for this at the bottom of the screen. To minimise this, I capture in 8-bit SER format, as it’s basically just a raw data stream from the camera. There is practically no overhead in writing it out, and since I typically capture thousands of frames at a time, I’m not going to lose any sleep over a couple of hundred dropped ones.

I’m not saying this should be your approach - it’s up to you to find your own way - I mention it in case anyone finds it useful, as someone who enjoys planetary imaging myself (and I don’t profess to be an expert!), I encourage you to experiment and see what works well with your kit. The Moon is around a lot of the month and is always a good target to practice on.

IMO the bigger challenges are getting the darn things on the chip...and the biggie we can’t control, the weather!