View Single Post
Old 23-02-2018, 08:37 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Thanks that used to be section 18 of the Sale of Goods Act...The law is in my side but one needs evidence..I was in law for part of my life and I realise although the law says one thing its not always all that easy to get up... I never lost a case and that comes from having all the ducks lined up... but I just had an idea for you.

Do you have a dslr? (Edit I notice you dont)

That would be a good place to start as you avoid a lap top.

One of the reasons I held back from auto guiding which I now have but yet to do notwithstanding having bought the gear ages ago...was to not have to have a lap top in the field and to keep things simple.

The advatange of a dslr for me was you put in on the scope and it works all by itself ..no leads no lap top take it inside to down load power is within...I still have yet to control the dslr via the lap top. ..various difficulties have held me back from getting it all working...the point of coming to my dark site last week was to have it all working...lap top solar panel battery inverter small genny new mount two new scopes plus guide scope and cam everything really.
but the cloud now the rain...so still to have a lap top as a central feature.

Anyways even if you need to buy a dslr that may be a good first step.

I dont know how good they would be for planetary but surely you could take short exposures and stack...at the present I set mine for 30 seconds for deep sky, because of poor polar align when in Sydney plus it runs without the lap top...I have a remote but it will do that without one really..anyways throw the switch and away she ticks..so maybe set a dslr on short exposure for planets...maybe you can use their video feature...
Just a thought as it would forestall the purchase of a lap top plus you may care to do some deep sky.

I started way back to do planets but I got tired of it very fast...you do the Moon, Saturn Jupiter and Venus (because of its cresent) but unless you just keep trying to improve you , well at least I did, turn quickly to deep sky cause there are many more objects within easy reach.And it is easier in my view.
What do you think?
Alex

Last edited by xelasnave; 23-02-2018 at 09:05 PM.