View Single Post
Old 10-03-2009, 03:25 PM
pgc hunter

Observing Carbon Stars

Seeing as the moon was making its presence felt, I decided to try something different. I printed off a couple of lists of carbon stars with the intention of doing a carbon star hunt. I used the 10" GSo dob.

Seeing was shocking first thing in the evening, but improved just after midnight before going to hell once again.

At the end of the session, I discovered a bloody spider had set up shop inside the scope AGAIN, during the session. Bloody hell, it seems this scope is a spider magnet for some reason. Luckily there wasnt too many cobwebs and I could easily remove it.

Kaptyen's Star, mag 8.9
This star didn't show any ruddy hue whatsoever.

R Doradus, mag 5.5
Nice and bright, deep orange in colour.

TW Horologium, mag 5.7
Similar brightness to R Doradus, but the colour is not as intense.

NP Puppis, mag 6.3
Appears to be about mid-way between TW Horolgium and R Doradus in terms of its colour intensity and is slightly fainter.

Y Hydra, mag 6.6
An impressive example, this is a deeper orange than R Doradus.

V hydra, mag 6.8
Now this is an impressive sight! Very deep orange, bordering on actual red I'd say, it is certainly redder than X Tra and comes close to DY Crucis, but is 2 magnitudes brighter and there is no bright star nearby to overpower it.

UY Centauri, mag 7.0
Another impressivly coloured star, this one is similar to Y Hydra. A fainter blue star lies just to the SE, creating a nic contrast.