View Single Post
Old 01-11-2020, 02:27 PM
h0ughy (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by assbutt94 View Post
The celestron OAG seems pretty solid and a good option.

One downside to it is you may not be able to get the guide camera to the correct back focus depending on the setup. This was my experience.

For reference, I am using an edge8, 0.7x reducer, Celestron OAG, Filter wheel and 1600mm camera in that order, with the 1600mm sensor at about 105mm backfocus.

A 174mm could not reach optimum back focus in my case, as when screwing it onto the top of the helical focuser the cameras sensor is another 5mm above the top of the helical focuser. The 174mm MINI inserts into the helical focuser and so the sensor is way below the top of the focuser and I should easily get backfocus (yet to set it up).

Celestron have OAG documentation showing the back focus each item and adapter uses in the kit.
It would be nice if they gave information on the possible back focus measurements of the helical focuser so that I could have checked ahead of time.

My pick off prism also had a chip, I had to return the whole OAG, I couldn't just get a new prism thing sent on it's own to replace myself.
I do have a lodestar that I could use if it had to go in, so I take it you had to get it in closer? As I am inherently lazy I don't do mono, one shot colour pony for me so won't need filter wheel. That's why I thought the celestron oag would be OK I am hoping the crayford focuser will work out for me.

Don't suppose you have a shot of your image train?