View Single Post
Old 04-03-2012, 04:33 PM
gregbradley

Thanks for the explanation Fred. But a good post as it opened up new techniques I was not aware of.

I did see a thread on the net where a guy developed a similar thing for Nikons. I don't think it is available as a buyable item just yet.

Can you adjust these things with software on the fly or once a sequence has started that's it?

I guess D800 files would be large too for several hours of time lapse at full frame at 100mb each.

D800 site says you can control aperture and exposure manually in video but we are talking about RAW exposures. Is RAW that important after all you shrink it down to HD at the end?

It may be a good time to buy a 5D mark ii or perhaps I'll simply buy both as both cameras are sufficiently different to be useful for different purposes (I put my name down for notification for a 5d Mk iii already).

Also wouldn't an astro camera be better than either for that matter. My Proline 16803 with a Pentax 6 x 7 55mm F4 lens is very very wide probably the equivalent of 28mm 35mm lens. There is a Pentax 6 x 7 45mm lens as well. Bin it 2x2. It might be worth an experiment
and you could pan slowly with the mount. The PMX has a great joystick that you can turn down the rate of slew to really really slow so that could be handy. Or do you slew between exposures so you don't get streaky shots? That could be tricky.

Greg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassnut View Post
Greg. That comment was a bit tongue in cheek

I don't mean any sort of movie mode, just manual bulb mode for full control.And always in RAW, that a given for best results.

You can take time lapse with any camera, is just harder with some, and with serious post processing anything is possible.

Ye, the lens twist locks aperture down to stop flickering. Nikons can't do this although it appears some sort of lens adaptor may make it possible. The little bumper is one of very few ways of doing TL with ap/Iso control, and it's spec says it won't work with Nikon because of the way it handles bulb mode. I think that means flash feedback can't be used to stop flickering at short exposures, or it can't be exposure ramped reliably in small time steps.

All these limitations just mean more post processing to eliminate flicker. As you say, Alex has produced award winning TL so it's obviously possible, just harder.

There's good reasons for most timelapsers to use Canon, particularly the 5Dmk2.