View Single Post
Old 15-05-2013, 06:46 PM
Suzy
Searching for Travolta...

Oh my gosh what a fantastic education- thank you so much Robert!
You've gone to some trouble here and it's very much appreciated.

For some reason, NGC5102 is one of my favourite galaxies. Perhaps because I bumped into it by accident on the way to finding M83 (using those triangle of stars that sits between iota Centauri and gamma Hydrae) Okay, so I over shot the mark a bit . It could also possibly be that I was so disappointed with my light polluted view of M83, that NGC5102 looked magnificent in comparison. But one thing's for sure, it's very easy to find and if one feels like showing off (that'd be moi given half the chance lol) one can go... now lets view a galaxy, out with the those maps I say chap, don't need them, and... *plonk* & voila!. A reliable quick fix and one that always performs with a brightish centre (& sometimes more!). Trying to find M83 did my head in. Trying to observing anything but a bright central spot in it finished me off. Is it just me... does anyone else out there have a "I hate these galaxies" list?! NGC 4945, The Needle & Black Eye galaxies also joined M83 a long time ago. I've seen two of these in dark skies, and it became very apparent why I have trouble at home.

Quote:
But I do so enjoy your astro rants Suzy! LOL
*Ahemmm* read that and weep Ron!
Thanks Shell, you're very kind.