View Single Post
Old 11-05-2018, 04:20 PM
glend (Glen)

Alex, i have done some research on this topic. I was considering converting my Edge HD8 to Hyperstar. You may find that just buying a used SCT, which is Faststar or Hyperstar ready (ie, the secondary can be removed from the front) would be a fairly easy way into it. However, there are complications, and costs. Hyperstar is the only product on the market now, and you looking at near $1k USD for the lense element, add more if you want to use a filter drawer. In order to avoid blocking the light path, you should be using a small body cylinder type camera, like an ASI1600 at the biggest. Next think about filters, if your running mono and want to shoot narrowband you may need high speed filters, another cost. If your going to shoot OSC, like with and ASI1600MC then you don't need to worry about filter drawers and HSO filters, in fact you would probably be able to forget about cooling the camera as well because your subs at f2 are going to be very short.

If your building one, good luck, I don't know if you could get a mirror made but maybe find a damaged SCT to source the mirror from. Good luck.