View Single Post
Old 23-08-2012, 10:24 AM
davewaldo
Tasmania

Heading back to Visual Astronomy - A GOTO dob?

Hi All,

Its been a long time since I've participated in this site, I've been lurking frequently though! You guys are producing some great images these days!

Alas I have no time for imaging anymore, and I don't see me having time for it in the few years to come. But rather than give up on astronomy altogether I'm looking at getting a dob and getting back to quick visual outings when I can fit them in.

So I'm looking for a good visual scope, quick to set up and minimum of extra bits and bobs needed. Budget of up to $2500.
So I'm thinking a skywatcher flextube dob with Argonavis. I know these now come with goto but I'm not much of a fan of synscan and the argo seems like a better long term investment if my needs change. What do you guys think? I can always add servocat jr later on, I know this adds more cost than the scope is worth but its still a lot cheaper than an SDM, and I can always upgrade the scope later and continue using the quality argo/servocat for many years down the track.

12" Flextube - $1300
Argo + Kit - $900

Can I realistically expect to dump my scope down, 2 star align and be off and running?

Would love to hear what everyone thinks, I guess I'm basically looking for an enjoyable scope with quality/easy to use electronics.

Cheers,

Dave.

PS. Yes DSC/goto are a must, I never have been a good star hopper

Last edited by davewaldo; 23-08-2012 at 10:55 AM.