View Single Post
Old 08-08-2019, 01:34 PM
Dober (Steve)

Help with Alignment of EQ3 mount and setting circles

Hi All,

I'm just starting out with this hobby and this is my first post but have read a few from other members mainly on equipment to start me off.

I thought I would see if someone can point me in the right direction with videos (or PDF's) on polar alignment southern hemisphere and some plain English vids on using setting circles. I have found a couple but happy to see if there are better out there and I assume it's a bit hard to explain here.

I intend to check in with local clubs in and around the Sunshine Coast ASAP but wanted to get a head start on the process mainly to lessen the frustration for someone trying to explain in person. Instructions with the scope were a little lacking, or maybe just me.

I have a basic grasp on set up and with how the mount works but finer points of pin pointing the south celestial pole and the setting circles would be handy.

Having some success and enjoying the sights with my 8" DOB but picked up a refractor for my wife which is on the EQ3 so she can look around on that. Can't have her feeling left out while I'm on the DOB.

Thanks in advance for any assistance offered.

Steve