View Single Post
Old 01-12-2013, 09:32 AM
I.C.D (Ian)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meru View Post
Hi Ross,
I see what you mean, I will talk to my friend and make sure to avoid that as much as possible. And so your pier will be installed in heathcote? Very jealous!

Hey Alistair,
I know what you are saying, but if I'd be going to all this effort for the pier (which I will keep for many years) then I'd rather just make sure I get the sturdiest and well-engineered design as I possibly can. Obviously it doesnt not compare to having a huge mount with a CDK on it but every bit counts! Realistically it won't make much difference, and I'd be interested too to see how much a difference bolts can make, but if I have the option to avoid it then why not. I'm really not that fussed about the ability to level the plate

Ian,
That's a good idea, I've got 30kgs of sand lying around so I might do that. I suppose a second plate would overcome the warping which is nifty. Pics would always be appreciated

------------------------

So far the best option I can see is to go for a rat cage, with one end of the bolt welded on the top plate. This would allow for me to change the adapter plate in the future if I ever change the mount, take into account any warping with the bolts steady in place. I also quite like Ross's idea of steel spacers around the bolts, that would definitely help. I may weld the spacers in place so if I dont really need the bolts to level, I can tighten the adapter plate onto the spacers. I will get some drawings up this weekend and see where it takes me!

Thanks for all your help thus far
G'Day Meru,
I think I have work out to send you the pictures of my pier .
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (DSCF3111_rsz.jpg)
181.7 KB152 views
Click for full-size image (DSCF3110_rsz_rsz_rsz.jpg)
176.7 KB124 views

Last edited by I.C.D; 01-12-2013 at 09:49 AM. Reason: Trying to attach photos