View Single Post
Old 01-02-2013, 01:05 PM
BMO (Hasen)
Blue Mountains Observator

SBIG STX models - the real story?

Dear fellow forum readers,

I've been working at 3 professional astronomical observatories for the past 29 years and involved from the very early days of CCD imaging. Mostly, I have used a large range of SBIG models - although I have installed Apogee CCD cameras for various large observatories around the world, most recently in Oman, on a 24" RC. For our 24" Planewave, we have also ordered a Apogee U16M.

Without repeating innuendo and rumours I have read on the 'net regarding SBIG - does anyone really know what is going on with their range? You can't seem to buy any CCD camera outside of 5.4 - 9 micron pixel size anymore and although I find my new STF-8300 nice on my astrograph, I still want a larger pixel size self-guiding chip to run on my various long focal length SCT telescopes.

I am aware that SBIG has the patent for on chip guiding but although there are more "models" available a lot of them are still based on the 8300 chip and I would very much like to get hold of a STL-1001E - now no longer made.

Sure, I can try and find a second hand (one day?) but I seem to find that SBIG are going into an entirely new direction, a direction which gives us little choice. Even the ST-10XME is no longer sold - one of the most popular CCD cameras in the market. I could at least use this at Bin2x2, as I had done previously (I have since left the observatory that had that camera model and want to replace it).

I can't seem to find the rational for all of this! Any suggestions on alternatives? Does anyone really know what is going on with SBIG and the sudden "lack of choice"?

Hasen.
Blue Mountains Observatory