Andy01 (Andy)
My God it's full of stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eden View Post
15 Euro well spent, IMHO.
I'll have to give it a proper try then, cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaranthus View Post
I find in Startools, it is best to create a 'fat star' mask and use "Tighten" in Magic (a few iterations), and then switch to Heal, increase the mask further, and really bump up the sampling. You get quite a nice result with this 2-step process.
Thanks Barry, I'll try that out

Quote:
Originally Posted by troypiggo View Post
I'm embarrassed you put my clunky PS action in there.
Thanks for posting it anyway Troy, I used it a lot with reasonable results but the cloning afterwards was taking too long, hence the question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickS View Post
What works for me is a carefully tuned star mask in PixInsight
Thanks Rick - Guess I'm going to have to bite the bullet and delve into Pixinsight soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by clive milne View Post
Surely continuum subtraction should be on the list as well?
Sorry Clive, ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaranthus View Post
The biggest problem I typically face is with halos reflected against the nebulae.
I feel your pain Barry...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Placidus View Post
... it will help understand why said tools are not quite working as expected.
Yes very true, and interesting - but I'm personally just looking for an aesthetically pleasing result that works

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickS View Post
provided you're going to put the stars back in a narrowband image after processing the colour
Yes exactly, My intent is to replace the NB ones with RGB stars for a more "realistic" looking image. But not at the expense of hours of time and loss of detail data.

Thanks everyone for your input - seems it's a common problem, will be interesting to see what others contribute as well.

Andy