View Single Post
Old 04-01-2007, 07:35 PM
sheeny (Al)
Spam Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigel003 View Post
Thanks Al! This seems like such a good idea that I rushed out and bought a container this afternoon. I've been futzing around with old pillow cases over the laptop screen during timed exposures - not a great arrangement. I'm thinking I'll need to drill some access holes in the lefthand bottom side though, for USB cables for camera and autoguider control.

As a side issue, can anyone suggest a source of suitable red filter material for the laptop screen itself?
I contemplated drilling some holes as well for ventilation and my power cable for the lappy, but I'll suck it and see first. My USB cables come out the RHS so there's room past the mouse. I'm hoping there's enough room for the power cable to loop around come out that side too without drilling holes. After having the lappy in the hutch fo while I don't think at this stage that I need ventilation holes.

As for the screen filter, I use a piece of dark red perspex that I bought from the local glazier, attached with velcro dots. The other thing I do is adjust the screen brightness with the function buttons. I have a power management profile set up that minimises screen brightness (and some other settings) for astro work. If I find the screen is too dim to read I bump the brightness up just enough to read it. On my lappy the function button with the left/right cursor buttons decrease/increase screen brightness respectively, which is handy.

Al.