View Single Post
Old 13-10-2017, 05:29 PM
Crushellon (Tim)

Which mono camera for my 80mm triplet.

Hey guys,

So I'm looking into getting a mono cam for my 80mm triplet. Originally I was just going to get one of the asi1600 packages with the wheel and filters but I'm not sure if it's what I'm after. It will be used mostly for narrowband imaging with the main aim of capturing the dusty background regions around objects. My main concern is with the short imaging times commonly used with the asi1600 and if it will capture what I'm looking to get with those short subs. I'm used to and prefer long exposures and less subs as my mount will easily handle 15min and upwards exposure times with this focal length and it's a lot easier to process 20x15min subs than it is to process 60x5min subs. Any suggestions as to an alternative? Is this camera capable of doing what mono CCD's can do with long subs? I was considering maybe another KAF8300 camera as I always dither every sub and drizzle anyway.. I'm not sure, just looking for some more input. Price range is around $3K with filters, doesn't matter if I go second hand to get what I need at that price.

Thanks, Tim