View Single Post
Old 15-10-2020, 07:34 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJL View Post
haha, whoops! I've never ever paid attention to these
I guess they are necessary then?
All I've done in the past (because I can see the SCP) is polar align with Polemaster, 1 star aligned to Jupiter, away I go.
I'm such a noob.
Adam
Here’s my procedure to set Home Position

Home Position on your HEQ5 , EQ6 ,EQ6-R and AZEQ6 ( also refer to AZEQ6 manual as well ) Telescope Mount

1/ Level your tripod pointing to the SCP
2/ Install the mount head and ensure the counterweight shaft is pointing down towards the south tripod leg
3/ Set you Altitude on the mount using the altitude adjusting bolts (Long chrome bolts with thumb tabs ) to the latitude of your current location
4/ Ensure the Azimuth bolts ( black knobs) are screwed in and equally spaced each side of the mount and tighten ( finger tight only )
5/ Do not install the counterweights yet
6/ Stand behind the mount looking south , release the RA clutch and rotate the mount anti clockwise until the counterweight shaft is level . Use a builders bubble float level to check and then lock the RA clutch
7/ Release the RA clock ring and rotate it anticlockwise until the pointer reaches 6.00 (18.00) don’t tighten up yet
8/ Unlock the RA clutch and rotate the RA axis back to the home position and lock it when the pointer reaches 12.00. Lock the RA clutch
9/ Unlock the Dec clutch and rotate the Dec axis until the saddle is exactly level .Check with a bubble float level then lock the Dec clutch
10/ Release the Dec clock ring and rotate it until it lines up with the pointer at 90 deg. Don’t tighten up yet
11/ Unlock the Dec clutch and rotate it anti clockwise until “0” on the Dec lock ring lines up with the pointer then lock the Dec clutch
12/ The Mount should be now in the “Home Position”
13/ Rotate both RA and Dec clock rings so the pointer lines up with “0” and screw down the clock rings
14/ You are now ready to install your counterweights and balance your telescope

Cheers
Martin