Thread: NEQ6 Control?
View Single Post
Old 18-05-2014, 08:43 AM
Meru (Michael)
More stars please!

Hi Glen,

+1 for Peter's comment, and also sounds like a classic case of poor Polar Alignment Have you come straight from an alt-az mount? I do apologise if you already know everything I am about to say, not sure about your experience level with an Eq mount. Though you may be pointing it in the right direction that is definitely not sufficient to ensure you can track. Even with correct three star alignment it still wont track. Have you checked this alignment using the drift method? You can do this either visually or with a camera. Google has plenty on the matter.

FYI when I use my NEQ6, whether it be visual or CCD, I've found that even a eighth of a turn's adjustment on either the latitude or azimuth adjustment screws is the difference between not tracking properly and tracking correctly. So definitely take your time and it may take several nights to fully get it right and understand whats going on. It used to take me over an hours worth of adjustment to barely get tracking for 30secs continuously. Thats because I didnt really know what I was doing. Now it takes me 10 minutes to get 2 minutes worth of good unguided tracking So practice practice practice!