Thread: NEQ6 Control?
View Single Post
Old 18-05-2014, 07:11 AM
glend (Glen)

NEQ6 Control?

While not a newbie to astronomy I certainly am to my new NEQ6 and am finding using it very frustrating because nothing about it seems to be intuitive.

I have approached the learning curve from the point of view of establishing a base of visual use control of the mount and then moving on to imaging control. The problem is I can't even get the darn thing to track an object visually.

I know the NEQ6 is properly aligned to true south and level, and that I have the right latitude set (not using the inaccurate gauge supplied, but by the inclinometer I attach to it). I have entered the correct GPS location for my backyard. The polar scope seems to be generally useless but I don't worry about it because I figure two or three star alignment will get me close enough for visual use. The issue is, yes I can reach an object in field of view range, but the tracking is never right and needs constant nudging, and those control buttons (RA and DEC) pretty much do the opposite of the intuitive (or what my Alt Az background would like). I miss a Sync to Target function which eliminates any small location drift once an object is found. I assume that PAE is the Synscan equivalent but certainly more complicated.

I have got Sky Safari Pro running on an Android tablet connected via wifi (Nexus-S) to the Synscan hand controller, so movement after alignment is all done on the tablet if I can, but Rate changes seem to still require going back to the handset.

I need some help in working out what I am doing wrong in trying to get this mount to track an object?

Sorry for taking so long with background info - so what am I doing wrong in setting up this mount, and why can't I get it to track accurately?

Last edited by glend; 18-05-2014 at 08:32 AM.