View Single Post
Old 11-01-2019, 01:40 PM
Jasp05 (Aaron)

Astromodding Canon 550d

Hi guys,

Picked up a cheap Canon 550d and looking to replace the UV/IR Cut filter with the Baader Astro conversion filter.

I have done a fair bit of research on the subject. I've got the Gary Honis guide bookmarked for reference when I take the plunge.

Just want to confirm a few things.

I shouldn't need to remove the LP1 filter. I believe this filter will help with UV/IR cut also. (I image through a refractor, so trying to avoid having to buy a UV/IR filter to install in my imaging train after the mod).

The Baader filter I'm replacing the factory filter with will be enough of a UV/IR cut that I won't need anything else?

Link to the replacement filter - http://www.astroanarchy.com.au/Acces...a_2459213.html

And what glue do you use to secure the new filter in the housing. Online says a 100% silicone glue. But how do you determine how much outgassing the adhesive will give off?

And while I've got the camera body open, I'm considering doing a cold finger mod also.

How do people go about preventing condensation on the sensor and moisture buildup in the camera body itself?

I had considered opening the body completely and just put it all in a sealed box and fill it with argon permanently. and just use the peltier to chill the whole unit. I know this isn't as efficient but would certainly make condensation a non issue.

Also what size peltier module do people use? I find the tec12706 I've got needs a big heatsink to get to freezing temps. (That is with the surface facing open air with no insulation or anything on it. so maybe a smaller heatsink will suffice if it only has to cool a small surface area? )

Any tips or ideas appreciated.