View Single Post
Old 08-11-2007, 02:31 PM
programmer
Computer tragic

ToUCam+laptop=no-go, & serial-to-USB

Hi all,

Two questions..

I've just bought a new laptop (Acer Aspire 5315 w/Vista) partially for use with my ToUCam 900nc. Being at work I don't have all the software (e.g. Philips "VLounge"), but I downloaded the Vista drivers. They installed ok, but when I plug in the cam, it doesn't come up. It's recognised by Windows (i.e. in device manager) but the tray icon still has an 'X' on it, and My Computer doesn't register it. It worked fine on my XP desktop (haven't tried it at home on Vista yet). Has anyone had success with a similar setup? Is it a driver issue, or the cam not getting enough power from the USB ports (I've tried all 3 USB 2.0 ports)?

Secondly, my new laptop doesn't have a serial port (I've just stopped kicking myself), so I can't directly run my David Ek DSC's.. I've seen serial-to-usb adapters for sale overseas, and I know there are issues with some not working with the DSC. Question is, are there any locally available adapters that are known to work? I'm in Melbourne, but if I have to source from interstate I will.

Thanks in advance!