View Single Post
Old 27-06-2007, 10:45 PM
Rob_K

I thought I might as well continue this thread with further globular cluster observations, all using Tasco "Space Station" 114x900 reflector, motorised Alt/Az mount, 21mm Celestron X-Cel EP. Hope this is OK, mods. The latest two obs were from my backyard in Bright, around 10pm EST, 16 June 2007.

NGC 6717 (Pal 9) in Sagittarius: Mag 8.4, but said to be "challenging object even for large aperture scope". However, I found it to be relatively easy once I got a decent chart prepared. Tiny fuzzy glow beside brighter star, averted vision not needed.
NGC 6256 in Scorpius: Extremely dim smallish glow in averted vision (mag 11.3!). In and out of vision. As with all really dim objects requiring averted vision, moving the telescope a little backwards and forwards helps to confirm the sighting. V dark skies essential!

Reviewed my glob observations listing, and these two actually take me to 96 observed now, not 95. The only two globs under mag 10 that I haven’t seen yet are M92 (mag 6.5) & NGC 6229 (mag 9.4), both in Hercules. Unfortunately, neither appear to rise above the hilly horizon at my place. I think I might be able to add a few more to my list, but I’m very close to the limit of my capabilities with present gear. More anon…….. I hope!

Cheers -