View Single Post
Old 19-10-2020, 12:34 AM
Emc2 (Jon)

Anyone using a Lunt Solar scope?

Hi guys,

So I've had a Lunt 60mm for a few months now and I've been quite disappointed with the views I have been getting.
I am getting basically a red disk with no surface details.
I have tried tuning the pressure but could not see any noticeable difference.
While I have quite a bit of experience with night time astro, I am a newbie when it comes to the sun.

When comparing to the "what you'll see" page on the Lunt's website, this is nowhere near close. I know they are showcasing the best possible case, but still I would have expected some kind of surface texture to be visible.
I have seen a couple of faint prominences but I did not check the sun's activity beforehand, so that may just have been why.

I was wondering if some here could provide some feedback as to what to expect with this kind of scope. I was considering purchasing the double stack module but then again checking the website, not sure the improvement is going to be worth it for me with regards to what to expect. I know once you double stack you don't go back, but at this stage the single stack has been a disappointment.

Perhaps I should re-grease the pressure tuner? The previous owner mentioned it may be due at some point. Would that potentially make a difference? It looks greasy enough and smooth when turning, so it's not like I can see some worrying signs.

I guess it may be down to expectations. I really wanted to love this scope and get some observations during the day, but so far after a few observations, I have found this to be underwhelming to say the least.

Any feedback & comments appreciated!
Cheers