View Single Post
Old 01-10-2016, 05:48 PM
wasyoungonce (Brendan)
Certified Village Idiot

Yes..its the trill of the hunt in completing something! The journey is half the fun!

I've just ordered a medium size pack of Chip Quik from Oritech. Gawd the cost of this stuff is high and varies greatly across Australia. Even shipping was high...$16.5 from Melbourne to Melbourne!

Sigh...I much prefer RS with free shipping...but they don't have this stuff. Anyway...this will make it easy to remove degraded ICs etc without damaging the PCBs. Adds Bismuth or such like to the solder alloy that is then used to bridge all the IC pins. Since its low melt point, 58ºC and remains in plastic stage for a long time. Its easy to heat all pins/pads to remove ICs.

I can use my hot air station and Kapton tape to heat and protect the rest of the PCB...easy peazy IC removal! Then clean up pads as normal!

I looked at many other options like the Hakko 950 SMD tweezers (or Ayuoe T001 knock off's) but the Hakko tips were exhorbitant and the Ayuoe tips range was small. Also the damn thing was ~25Watts per side. Not enough heat for larger SMD ICs!

The other way was using a Hakko modified barrel for my 907 irons and SMD tips to for to these. But each SMD tip is ~$40 AUS ea. I'd need 5 or 6 tips...and more!

In the end..chip quik won out! Much cheaper and less heat thus less propensity to damage the valuable PCBs. I'll need some extra hot air nozzles but fleabay has plenty cheaply!

Lest hope that..." I chose wisely"!
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (You-Have-Chosen-Wisely.png)
113.1 KB22 views